You asked, we answered! In this episode of our monthly series, Ask the Vet, Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Dan answer 5 new questions on topics like what plants are toxic to horses, the different types of colic, riding a horse with arthritis, how to help a horse with sore back muscles, kinesiotaping horses, and so much more!
If your question was answered in this video, reach out to us at CustomerCare@SmartPak.com and let us know! We’ll get your gift card out to you as soon as we can! Have some of your own questions? Ask away using #AsktheVetVideo! If your question gets selected to be in one of our Ask the Vet videos, you win a SmartPak gift card! How awesome is that!?
Additional reading/watching material mentioned in the video:
Ask the Vet individual topics playlist
Ask the Vet blogs
Horse Health Library Videos
Ask the Vet – Safe fruits and vegetables for horses
Horse Back Pain article
Horse Owner’s Field Guide to Toxic Plants by Sandra Burger
10 Most Poisonous Plants for Horses from Equus Magazine
Dr. Gray’s article in Dressage Today on Plant Precautions for the Dressage Horse
SmartPak videos featuring Dr. Andy Kaneps
What to do if your horse is colicking
Saddle fitting videos featuring Kate Ballard, Society of Master Saddlers and Professional Saddle Fitter
Activate Your Horse’s Core by Hilary Clayton and Narelle Stubbs
Austrian research study on kinesiotaping
Colic Prevention from AAEP
Questions answered in this episode:
1. What plants are toxic to horses?
2. How to help a horse with sore back muscles; alternative therapies, stall rest, exercise?
3. My horse has arthritis really bad in the winter but in the summer seems fine. Is it okay for me to ride more?
4. My horse has been diagnosed with pain and arthritis of the SI joints. Starting him on Equioxx. Just curious if taping the joints would actually provide any relief? Does taping work for pain or is it total nonsense?
5. How many types of colic are there?